Will I have to go to court if I sue the drunk driver?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be wondering if you will have to go to court if you decide to sue. The answer is that it depends on the specific circumstances of your case. Here are some things to consider:

  • Settlement: In some cases, the insurance company for the drunk driver may offer a settlement to resolve your case. This means that you would agree to accept a certain amount of money. If you accept a settlement offer, you will not have to sit in front of a jury.
  • Litigation: If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, or if there are disputes about liability or damages, your case may need to be litigated. This is where having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. After filing a lawsuit, you may be required to attend depositions. Typically, your attorney will handle any hearings or other instances that would require going to the courthouse. Just because a lawsuit is filed does not automatically mean that you, personally, will have to go to court.
  • Trial: If your case goes to trial, you may need to testify in court and present evidence to support your claim. Your attorney will prepare you for this process and represent you in court.

It’s important to note that every case is unique, and the decision to settle or go to trial should be made with the guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney. At The Ruth Law Team, we have helped many clients who have been injured in crashes caused by drunk drivers, and we can help you too. Call us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers to each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.