What if the drunk driver was driving a government vehicle?

If you have been hit by an intoxicated driver in  a government vehicle, such as a police car or fire truck, you may have a legal claim for compensation. However, there are certain rules and limitations that apply when suing the government, so it’s important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the process.

Here’s what you need to know about suing the government after an crash involving a  drunk driver in a government vehicle:

  1. Sovereign immunity: The government is protected by a legal doctrine called sovereign immunity, which means that it cannot be sued unless you have permission to do so. However, in some cases, the government may waive its immunity and allow individuals to bring claims against it.
  2. Notice requirements: Before you can sue the government, you may be required to provide notice of your claim within a certain timeframe. This can vary depending on the state and the type of claim.
  3. Time limitations: There may be strict time limitations for filing a claim against the government. 
  4. Types of damages: If you are successful in your claim against the government, you may be entitled to compensation for a variety of damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  5. Complex legal process: Suing the government can be a complex and challenging process, requiring a thorough understanding of the law and the legal system. It’s important to work with an attorney who has experience handling these types of cases.

If you have been hit by a drunk driver in  a government vehicle, it’s important to seek legal help from an experienced personal injury attorney. The Ruth Law Team has years of experience in handling personal injury cases and can provide you with the legal support and guidance you need. Contact us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers for each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.