Can I recover damages for scarring or disfigurement?

If you have suffered scarring or disfigurement as a result of a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Types of damages: Scarring and disfigurement are considered “special damages” in personal injury cases, meaning that they are specific, measurable losses that can be compensated for. Other types of special damages include medical expenses and lost wages.
  2. Severity of the injury: The severity of the scarring or disfigurement will be taken into account when determining the amount of compensation you may be entitled to. More severe injuries may result in higher compensation.
  3. Permanent vs. temporary injuries: Generally,  scarring or disfigurement is permanent. Under §627.737, significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement is considered a permanent injury. 
  4. Emotional distress: Scarring and disfigurement can also cause emotional distress, which may also be compensable in a personal injury case.
  5. Evidence: It’s important to have medical documentation of your scarring or disfigurement, including photographs and testimony from medical professionals.
  6. Statute of limitations: In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the drunk driving crash or injury. It’s important to act quickly to ensure that your rights are protected.

If you have suffered scarring or disfigurement as a result of a drunk driver, it’s important to seek legal help from an experienced personal injury attorney. The Ruth Law Team has years of experience in handling personal injury cases and can provide you with the legal support and guidance you need. Contact us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers for each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.