Can I recover damages for emotional distress after being hit by a drunk driver

If you were hit by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to recover damages for the physical and emotional harm caused. Emotional distress, also known as mental anguish, is a real and valid type of harm that can result from a traumatic event like a car accident. The good news is that you can recover damages for emotional distress in a personal injury lawsuit against a drunk driver.

Here are some factors that may affect your ability to recover damages for emotional distress in a personal injury lawsuit:

  • Severity of the accident: If the accident was severe, with significant property damage and bodily injury, you may have a stronger case for emotional distress damages.
  • Proof of emotional distress: You will need to provide evidence of your emotional distress, which can be difficult to do. Symptoms of emotional distress may include anxiety, depression, insomnia, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
  • Treatment for emotional distress: You will also need to show that you sought treatment for your emotional distress, such as therapy or medication.
  • State laws: State laws vary on how emotional distress damages are calculated and awarded.

If you have been hit by a drunk driver, it is crucial to speak with an attorney who specializes in personal injury law to understand your legal options. The Ruth Law Team has extensive experience handling personal injury cases and can provide you with the guidance and support you need during this difficult time.

At The Ruth Law Team, we believe in fighting for the rights of those who have been injured due to the negligence of others. Our attorneys have a track record of success in personal injury cases, including those involving emotional distress damages. We will work tirelessly to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your physical and emotional injuries.

To schedule a free consultation with The Ruth Law Team, please call (888) 783-8378. Our team is available to answer your questions and provide you with the legal guidance you need to move forward with confidence.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers to each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.