What if the drunk driver was driving a rental car?

If you’ve been involved in a collision with a drunk driver who was driving a rental car, you may be wondering about your legal options. In such cases, it is possible to recover damages from both the driver and the rental car company.

Here’s what you need to know about your options:

  1. Liability of the driver: The drunk driver is responsible for any damages they cause while driving, including personal injury and property damage. If the driver has insurance, you can file a claim against the insurance company. If the driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may be able to sue them directly for damages.
  2. Liability of the rental car company: Rental car companies are generally not liable for damages caused by their renters. However, they may be held liable if they were negligent in renting the car to the drunk driver. For example, if the rental car company rented a car to a visibly intoxicated person or someone without a valid license, they could be held liable for any damages caused by that person.
  3. Rental car insurance: If the drunk driver purchased insurance from the rental car company, that insurance may cover damages caused in the accident. However, the coverage may be limited, and you may need to pursue other avenues to recover full compensation for your damages.

It’s important to note that rental car accidents can be complex, and it’s essential that you seek legal help from an experienced personal injury attorney. The Ruth Law Team has years of experience in handling personal injury cases and can provide you with the legal support and guidance you need. Contact us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers to each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.