Who Could Be Eligible to Get Compensation Before Time Runs Out?
In 1982, the contaminated drinking water was identified as coming from three sources of finished water that supplied more than half of the family housing units at Camp LeJeune. Despite that discovery, some chemicals continued to be dumped near the wells for another three years, all the time leaching into the water table.
Because so many people were exposed and potentially poisoned by the water, the Camp LeJeune Justice Act of 2022 allows anyone who fits the following description to file a claim for compensation:
- Any individual, including a veteran, or
- any legal representative of such an individual
- who lived, worked, or was otherwise exposed (including in utero exposure)
- for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987
- to water at Camp LeJeune.