If you’ve ever been involved in an accident you know it is an extremely stressful event, no matter the cause or extent of the damage. After an accident, thinking logically can be difficult, especially if you have never been in that situation. We’ve put together five things you should do if you are ever in a car crash. And while they may seem like common sense, taking the time to review the information and committing it to memory will make it easier on yourself and others involved in the unfortunate event you are ever in a collision.
- Keep calm. This is extremely important, as you’ll need to think as rationally as possible in the event of a car accident. Turn on your hazard lights, and move out of traffic if it is safe to do so. Always remain on the scene.
- Call police. Use 911 if anyone is injured. Stay until all emergency personnel arrive and are able to direct you.
- Do not admit fault. Apologizing for the accident or using phrases like, “I didn’t see you,” or, “You came out of nowhere” may seem harmless, but they could indicate fault in the accident. Admitting fault before an investigation is complete could jeopardize your claim.
- Gather as much information as possible. Be sure to get the names, contact information, license plate and number, as well as the insurance information of all drivers involved in the accident. If there were any eyewitnesses, gather their contact information as well, and take photos if it is safe to do so.
- Call an experienced auto accident attorney. If you were injured in the accident, a car accident lawyer will walk you through the process of getting legal representation if you choose to do so. Even if you don’t hire an attorney, he or she may be able to guide you through the next steps or send you important information for handling your property damage claim.
Maintaining your composure and thinking through the steps immediately following a car collision is extremely important. A good car accident attorney will be able to help guide you and help you understand the legal process. If you were injured in an auto accident in the Tampa Bay Area, and it wasn’t your fault, call 1-888-783-8378, or fill out our free online case evaluation form. The Ruth Law Team can help you get the justice you deserve.
You May Also Like: How to Handle Your Property Damage Claim and Get Back On The Road Faster