Can I file a personal injury claim if I was rear-ended?

If you have been rear-ended in a car accident, it can be a frightening and traumatic experience that can leave you with serious physical, emotional, and financial consequences. Many people wonder whether they can file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for their damages. The short answer is yes, you can file a personal injury claim if you were rear-ended in a car crash. Here is what you need to know.


In order to file a personal injury claim, you must be able to prove that the other driver was negligent, or at fault, for the accident. In the case of a rear-end collision, the other driver is usually (but not always) considered to be at fault. This is because the driver who rear-ends another vehicle is typically not keeping a safe distance or paying attention to the road.


To file a personal injury claim, you must also be able to demonstrate that you suffered damages as a result of the accident. Damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.

What to Do

If you have been rear-ended by another car, there are several steps you should take to protect your legal rights and maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation for your damages:

  • Seek medical attention: Make your health and well-being your top priority. Even if you don’t feel injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional. Injuries may become more apparent once the adrenaline has faded.
  • Gather evidence: Take photographs of the accident scene, including damage to the vehicles, any injuries, the other driver’s insurance card(s) and license plate, as well as the surrounding area. Get the contact information of any witnesses and exchange information with the other driver.
  • Contact an attorney: A personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal system, gather evidence, and build a strong case for compensation. If you are considering making an injury claim, call an attorney sooner than later.

If you have been rear-ended in a car accident and want to file a personal injury claim, contact The Ruth Law Team to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Our team has more than four decades of experience helping clients who have been injured in car accidents, and we can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers for each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.