What Should You Do if You Use a PPI?
Many medical professionals are now advising patients only to use PPIs when medically necessary and to not rely on them for long periods of time. Speak with your doctor about the risks of taking these medications, and explore any alternatives. Non-drug treatments for symptoms include the following:
- Avoiding food and alcohol within three hours of bedtime
- Elevating the head of the bed
- Avoiding drugs that induce the cause (i.e. Aspirin, Motrin and other NSAIDS)
- Consuming foods that won’t trigger heartburn
- Trying an antacid or H2 Blocker
- Losing weight/exercising