Am I entitled to pain and suffering damages?

If you successfully file a personal injury claim against a negligent party, you may be able to receive repayment for specific amounts of money that you have lost due to medical bills, property repairs, and so on. These are known as “special damages.” Another kind of compensation, known as “general damages” deals with less tangible losses. Two of the most common examples are “pain and suffering.”

General damages like pain and suffering can be very difficult to calculate because they tend to deal with subjective suffering, rather than straightforward physical losses. The amount of compensation you receive for these losses can depend a great deal on the quality of your legal representation. To discuss your case with an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney, call the offices of the Ruth Law Team at 1-888-345-5849.

The phrase “pain and suffering” refers to both emotional and physical pain caused by an accident or assault, as well as the effects that this pain may have on your life. Common examples include:

  • Temporary or chronic pain caused by your injuries
  • Emotional aftermath of your injuries (post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, etc)
  • Any temporary or permanent disabilities you have suffered
  • A reduced quality of life caused by physical or emotional damage
  • Permanent scarring or disfigurement, which can cause disability and embarrassment

It is difficult to predict how courts will award damages like these; a good deal of it depends on your personal circumstances, the court’s level of sympathy, and how well you have documented the effects of your injuries on your life. A knowledgeable Tampa personal injury lawyer can help you determine your eligibility for such damages and carefully construct a persuasive legal case.

The Tampa personal injury lawyers at the Ruth Law Team believe that victims of negligence deserve full compensation for all of their losses. To discuss how our firm can help you, contact us today at 1-888-345-5849