Can I sue the establishment that served the drunk driver alcohol?

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed by a drunk driver, you may wonder if you can hold the establishment that served the driver responsible. In some cases, the answer is yes.

Here’s what you need to know:

Establishments that serve alcohol have a legal responsibility to ensure that their patrons do not become dangerously intoxicated. This is known as “dram shop” liability. If an establishment serves alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person or to someone who is underage, and that person goes on to cause an accident, the establishment may be held liable for any resulting damages.

However, it’s important to note that dram shop laws vary from state to state, and not all states have them. Additionally, some states only allow for dram shop liability in certain circumstances. For example, in some states, an establishment can only be held liable if they served alcohol to a minor, not to an adult who was visibly intoxicated. For example in Florida, Statute 768.125 affords liability to someone “who knowingly serves a person habitually addicted to the use of any or all alcoholic beverages may become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from the intoxication of such minor or person.”

If you believe that an establishment that serves a drunk driver bears responsibility for your injuries or the loss of a loved one, it’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can evaluate the specific circumstances of your case and help you determine whether dram shop liability may be a viable option.

It’s worth noting that establishing dram shop liability can be complex, and may require expert testimony and other evidence. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process and help ensure that your case is as strong as possible.

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed by a drunk driver, don’t hesitate to reach out to The Ruth Law Team for help. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling personal injury cases, including those involving dram shop liability. Call us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a consultation.
You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.