Are You Eligible to File a Claim for Injuries Related to Camp Lejeune?
What if the drunk driver fled the scene of the crash?
If you were hit by a drunk driver who fled the scene, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. However, it is important to act quickly and take certain steps to protect your rights and increase your chances of recovering damages. Here are some important things to keep in mind if you were in a crash with a hit-and-run drunk driver:
- Contact the Police: The first thing you should do is contact the police and report the incident. The police will be able to investigate the accident and gather evidence that can be used to identify the driver. They may also be able to track down witnesses who saw the collision or the fleeing driver.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine after the accident, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some injuries, such as whiplash, concussions, or internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent but can cause serious health problems if left untreated. Additionally, seeking medical attention creates a record of your injuries that can be used as evidence in your case.
- Contact an Attorney: It’s crucial to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can help you navigate the legal process, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies to maximize your chances of recovering damages.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: If the hit-and-run driver is never identified or found, you may still be able to recover damages through your own uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage is designed to protect you in the event that you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Civil Lawsuit: If the hit-and-run driver is identified, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against them to recover damages. A personal injury attorney can help you determine the best course of action for your specific case.
If you were involved in a crash with a hit-and-run drunk driver, it’s important to act quickly and take the steps necessary to protect your rights. The Ruth Law Team has extensive experience in personal injury law and can help you navigate the legal process. Contact us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a consultation.
Please note that the answers to each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.