What if a drunk driver hit me and left the scene of the crash?

Being involved in a drunk driving hit-and-run crash can be a scary and confusing experience, but it’s important to know your legal options for seeking compensation. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Uninsured motorist coverage: If you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, this coverage may provide compensation for your injuries and damages in a hit-and-run crash.
  2. Police investigation: It’s important to contact the police immediately after a hit-and-run collision. The police will investigate the crash and attempt to identify the at-fault driver.
  3. Personal injury claim: If the at-fault driver is identified, you may be able to pursue a personal injury claim against that driver. This could include compensation for medical expenses, and pain and suffering.
  4. Comparative negligence: If you were partially at fault for the accident, your damages may be reduced under Florida’s comparative negligence system. This means that damages are apportioned based on each party’s percentage of fault.
  5. Statute of limitations: In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the crash. However, it’s important to act quickly in a hit-and-run situation to ensure that evidence is preserved and the at-fault driver is identified.

If a drunk driver hit you and left the scene of the crash, it’s important to seek legal help from an experienced personal injury attorney. The Ruth Law Team has years of experience in handling personal injury cases and can provide you with the legal support and guidance you need. Contact us today at (888) 783-8378 to schedule a free consultation.

You can also visit us by appointment at one of our Florida Law Offices, Minnesota Law Offices, or Georgia Law Offices.

Please note that the answers for each question may vary depending on the specific facts of your case, and it is always best to consult with an attorney to get more accurate information. Also, this is general information and not legal advice.